Title: Communications Manager
Status: Freelance contract equivalent to two days per week
Duration: March 2022 to 31 December 2022 with three month probation
Location: Virtual (location flexible)
Application deadline: 18 Feb 2022
There has never been more money and political will for conservation and sustainability than in this decade. Yet investors and land managers are struggling to originate high-quality, de-risked, land use projects. The Landscape Finance Lab bridges this gap by structuring, de-risking, launching, and funding sustainable land use deals at landscape scale – covering millions of hectares, mobilising hundreds of millions of dollars and catalysing major impact.
Established in April 2016, the Lab is incubating a portfolio of landscape programs. We are focused exclusively on programs covering over a million hectares, million tonnes of traded goods, million tonnes greenhouse gases, and $100 million investment size.
Our purpose is to:
- Enable high quality landscape programs in global biodiversity priority places
- Test innovative financing mechanisms
- Build sector learning, capacity and impact.
The Lab has recently spun off from the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) in June 2021 and it is key now to implement and develop further the Lab communication strategy
The core focus of this role is to develop quality communications to generate awareness of and engagement in Lab activities in the conservation and finance sector. This includes developing and maintaining consistent messaging from and about the Lab and ensuring highest quality visual and written presence.
The Lab is keen to further develop communication activities, which will include sourcing funding and sponsorship to produce communication campaigns which can highlight key landscape and finance needs and solutions. This role will also support the delivery of Communication commitments within key Lab projects and work to build our online presence and brand recognition.
- Management and execution of the Lab’s Communication strategy
- Preparation and management of templates for communication materials
- Maintenance of the Lab and partners branding and identity
- Work with the Lab team to disseminate key stories from the Lab and projects
- Writing and disseminating monthly communication pulses including the newsletter, regular blogs and social media updates
- Writing and disseminating press releases to launch Lab and partner activities
- Build media visibility and liaise with journalists on behalf of the Lab
- Build the Lab’s online presence through social media
- Support the development of Lab presentations for landscape programs, general operations and funder pitches
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships and synergies with partners to achieve maximum co-operation.
- Advise the team regarding communication messages in the development and implementation of marketing activities related to the Lab and our activities
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading skills
- Ability to relate convincingly and credibly with peers in partner organizations.
- Strong organizational skills with an aptitude to get things done.
- Ability to conceptualize and implement communication tools.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Additional languages are an advantage particularly French and Spanish
- Understanding and experience with social media platforms
- Proficiency with content management systems e.g. WordPress and other website tools
- Creativity and flexibility with a solution-oriented approach.
- Knowledge of sustainability and conservation finance issues an advantage.
- Adheres to Lab values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, Persevering & Delivering Results.
- A university degree as well as an in-depth understanding of communication practices.
- At least 5 years work experience in the field of communications in an international environment in the private or NGOs sector.
- Experience with media desired.
- Superlative writing, editing and verbal communications skills in English.
- 4 mentions of the Lab in print media/ broadsheets per year
- 30% engagement on monthly newsletter and blogs
- Essential Lab communications pack
- Landscape and program pitch decks
- Website re-design/ updates
- Landscape stories series
- Programme communication
- 100+ social media mentions
Please send a cover letter and copy of your CV to email@example.com by 5pm CET, 18 Feb 2022. 1st interviews will take place 1 & 2 March, successful candidates will be invited to a 2nd interview 9th March 2022.