Supervisor: Lab Lead
Duration: One year – renewable dependent on budget and performance
Status: Part to full time
There has never been more money and political will for conservation and sustainability than in this decade. Yet investors and land managers are struggling to originate high-quality, de-risked, land use projects. The Landscape Finance Lab seeks to bridge this gap.
Founded in 2016 within conservation organisation WWF, the Lab is an initiative to structure, de-risk, launch and fund sustainable land use deals at landscape scale.
Our purpose is to:
● Enable high quality landscape programs in global biodiversity priority places
● Test innovative financing mechanisms
● Build a landscape finance industry through learning, capacity and impact
The Lab is focused exclusively on programs covering over a million hectares, million tonnes of traded goods, million tonnes greenhouse gases and $100 million investment size. The Lab was established as an independent non-profit association based in Austria in June 2021.
The Lab is now seeking a top level sustainable finance professional for the role of Finance Coordinator. This position will lead the financing elements of sustainable landscapes for the Lab.
I. Major Functions:
This senior position will lead the blended financing elements of the Landscape Finance Lab. The incumbent will have three key responsibilities: (1) to guide the structuring of major investments into key landscapes that can scale environmental and sustainability results; (2) to lead the design and management of financial instruments for supporting investment into sustainable landscapes; and (3) to apply lessons from these to influence and shape the emerging industry of landscape finance. They will focus primarily on private finance though will need competence in integrating with public sector donors and program design.
II. Key Result Areas and Responsibilities:
● Review and update Finance components of the Lab overall strategy, annual Action Plan and work plans
● Prepare and refine business models for landscape scale investment including identifying revenue streams for the Lab
● Develop and expand outreach and partnerships with key investors, donors, financial institutions, regulators and policy bodies of relevance to landscape finance
● Guide the structuring of investments into sustainable landscape programs including identifying investable projects, engaging investors, ensuring effective governance structures and applying safeguards
● Initiate, lead and support the design of global, regional and or thematic investment vehicles (funds, foundations, technical assistance facilities etc) that can accelerate and support landscape finance
● Ensure due diligence, safeguards and risk mitigation in Lab projects and partnerships
● Maintain and apply an outreach strategy, database and tracking system for investor engagement
● Provide inputs on financial aspects into the Lab sustainable landscapes platform and bankable projects incubator
● Develop, fund and lead training and capacity building programs in landscape finance and bankable projects
● Develop and publish technical and research reports on key policy aspects and lessons in landscape finance
● Provide input to media and communications materials including the monthly newsletter and blogs
● Engage with industry and policy bodies and coordinate with partners to influence the landscape finance sector
● Fundraise for Lab projects and team including ongoing costs for this position
● Manage a small team of specialists and advisors
● Keep abreast of trends and developments relevant to sustainability and finance
● Other activities as directed by supervisor.
III. Qualifications, Competencies and Skills
● Minimum Masters level Degree in finance, economics or relevant discipline
● Minimum 10 years working experience in the area of finance, consulting and/or sustainability with experience working with financial institutions/corporates
● Superior knowledge of the finance sector levers for change as they relate to sustainability
● Experience working with virtual and/or international teams
● Experience developing financial products
● A demonstrated interest in how environmental concerns relate to material business risks and opportunities
● Strong coordination, teamwork, and excellent interpersonal skills
● Demonstrated commitment to nature conservation, sustainability and rights based development
● Demonstrated ability to analyze sustainability issues, effectively communicate these to financial institutions and other stakeholders and forge new partnerships
● Superior management, negotiation, and communication skills, with a proven ability to define and defend priorities
● Ability to analyze sustainability issues and to effectively communicate these to financial institution partners
● Familiarity with agile and lean working approaches preferred
● Able to prioritize, work in a dynamic environment and operate under tight deadlines
● Ability to work independently and proactively
● Capability to operate as part of a virtual team using current social media and online performance products
● Dynamic, creative, and outgoing personality
● Exemplary English language capability with fluency in an additional language preferred
● Strong written, verbal, and presentation skills
● Able to travel internationally (up to 25%)
Please send a cover letter and copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm CET, 15 April 2022.
Interviews will take place in late April 2022, successful candidates will be invited to a second interview by late April 2022.